Are Kyrie Irving And KD A Start Of A New Attitude Of NBA Players Toward P.R.?

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by GlickenGoshDebate Tactics, Sep 19, 2017.

1. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

KD did some really cringeworthy stuff recently besides joinning the Warriors but these guys recently just let their freak flag fly despite us living in the don't say anything controversial era. These are highly ranked players of the reservation as far as public relations are concerned. Is this a new trend and fans will have to get used to it? What caused it? Do players just explode at one point over the constant demand to be PR friendly? By the way a the Lakers got a ''freak'' in Bogut who was on a anti SJW twitter crusade of sorts. I hope he keeps tweeting.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

feel like kobe trended this way in the back half of his career, actually. enough that my friend and call it going "old kobe" when we speak up bluntly at work. like: i don't give a s***, i'm going old kobe on them.

but i'd argue that lebron's ability to stay on the good side of public opinion probably empowered folks to stop fussing about PR as much. i was surprised how quickly people forgave the miami FA move. i guess winning really cures all. i mean, lebron's in position to leave cleveland again, and this time, nobody will say much. if you're another star watching this, you think: i'll just do what's right for me, people will get tired of the hate if i'm winning.

btw, irving's move made a ton of sense to me: he didn't want to be left holding the bag in cleveland. i don't blame him. he'd get tagged as the loser who couldn't do anything without lebron.

all that said, this is the same league that foretold kaepernick's fate with abdul rauf. there are limits, apparently, to the public's forgiveness.

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  3. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

I think the public would be more forgiving if they would not had politicked in uniform...

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Kd is a people pleaser pretending that he doesn't care, he's the new Dwight, he wants to be loved/admired but obviously doesn't get the hate n trolling hes getting now

alam1108 and Kenzo like this.
  5. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

He is nothing like Dwight even with his recent issues.

Barnstable and abeer3 like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

agree. dwight would never have owned up to stupidity like kd did the other day. what he did was lame, but he gets credit for admitting it, imo. howard would have evaded the issue entirely.

7. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

In ref to wanting to be liked but doesnt get why hes hated on, same thing

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Kd didnt own up to his twitter burner acct, he brushed it aside n said he uses different instagram acct for friends/fam, he aplogized for that instance of dissing okc/donovan so who know how many other times he has used that burner twitter acct to trash okc.

9. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

He is not a goofy cringy idiot even if he does stupid things. Also he does not demand things he cannot deliver on.

abeer3 likes this.
  10. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

I guess KD just took the hell with Public Relations movement to an another level.

https://www.gq.com/story/kevin-durant-is-just-heating-up-profile

He was enjoying being just a member of a team, rather than the face of it. “Steph Curry is the face of the franchise, and that helps me out, because I don't have to,” he said. “I don't want to have to be the leader. I'm not a leader. I'm bad at saying, ‘Stand behind me and follow me.’ No. I'm one of those guys that's just like, ‘Let's do this s*** together. Let's just work everybody together. I don't mind being on the front line with you, but let's come and do it together

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2017
    LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm totally down with that honesty. so, is the subtext here that westbrook, whilst filling the role of vocal leader well, wasn't all-in on the team concept? it takes a special kind of personality to operate simultaneously in both modes. and curry might be that kind of guy. mj wasn't. kobe wasn't. lebron is more like kd (without the admission). maybe magic was?

anyway, perhaps i'm reading too much into it, but it sounds like kd basically saying that his and russ's personalities didn't work on the court.

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  12. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

after last nite

[​IMG]