49ers Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by John3:16, Oct 5, 2014.

1. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

We've got a trade ladies and gents.....

Navorro gone, Ward & Gilliam done for the season, Staley & Thomas out for at least 3 weeks...but all that be damned, cause we just might've found our franchise QB.

BTW, its our 2nd round pick and not NO's.

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm not exactly excited for the Niners on this deal. Garapolo has looked good in short stints, but it's not often a NE QB leaves the system and looks great. Add that to the fact there's at least 3 really good qbs in this upcoming draft and I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to just draft the new qb that's coming and use that draft pick to help build elsewhere.

3. vasashi17

I hear you Real, but for a guy that is about to turn 26, he's still really young and obviously is much younger if you consider he doesn't have much football miles on him. He's been under the tutelage of arguably one of the greatest QB/Coach duos in NFL history and in his small sample size has been successful in producing Ws (which we're obviously starving for at the moment). I'm thinking that if you can take on the NE offense and whatever coach Belisith throws at you, then you're more than ready to be a NFL QB. Its pretty obvious that NE was trying to hold onto him, but knew that it couldn't afford paying starting type money to a QB they couldn't justify starting yet. Its a testament to Brady, but its also a testament to Garoppola in how much of a threat he was to Tom, that motivated him to drive to such great success even in the twilight of his career.

I know we could have thrown a boat load of money at Cousins and then used that 33/34th pick to round out the roster, but I'm not entirely convinced that Cousins is the answer as our franchise QB. Meanwhile, we don't have to really wait on a rookie QB with this move and instead we can target more immediate needs with that 1st/2nd overall pick this coming draft.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

That's all fair. We'll see how this plays out. I don't dislike Garapolo I just don't trust NE players outside of NE and with at least three good QBs coming in, I thought there was a good opportunity there. There's some OL and some defensive secondary players coming out. I'm not entirely impressed with the offensive position players, but there's a lot of needs for the Niners right now.

5. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Darnold...Rosen...Lamar Jackson...that Penn State kid. Thought of them as I heard about this trade. San Fran is is win mode now opting for a QB with some experience albeit limited. The Rams are on the upswing and Seattle still having Wilson at the helm in the NFC West. With a losing record Niners might still have a chance to nab one.

6. vasashi17

7. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Link not working. Pay who?

8. vasashi17

Eric Reid stated he would come back to the 9ers on a 1yr deal after he visited with the Bengals.

I didn't want the 9ers to do him like they did Kaep, so I just wanted that saga done with as a way of showing good faith. I mean Kaep woulda been a better option pre-JimmyG trade and Reid did everything we asked of him last year...so why are both them dudes still unemployed?

I'm really disappointed that the 9ers didn't make a stand (or should I say take a knee) on this one to at least show that they had their players' backs on the police brutality protests...but nope, Jed is just as bad as the rest of them following the group rather than demonstrating what the anthem protests really stand for. I'm not surprised at how they completely manipulated Kaep's motives for the protests into something he never really intended it to be....political.

9. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    ^^^Kaep had a contract with us and opted out. I don't think we did him wrong. Reid was okay, but considering where we drafted him, I expected more.

10. vasashi17

^^^John, we were going to cut him anyway.

We saved some money paying Hoyer (roughly 3m) over an opted out Kaep (12.4m), but was that really the direction that we wanted to go with if the anthem thing wasnt a factor? I have a tough time believing any talent evaluator would choose Hoyer over Kaep... So imo it wasnt really the money/role... It was the anthem protest.

As for the still unemployed Reid, dude is for sure being black balled by the league which is exactly why he filed a suit against them. All I hoped was they signed him or made a fair public offer for him to turn down to show that they're not just taking marching orders from Godell and the sponsors.

11. vasashi17

But Nike, he disrespected the flag and our military!?! (Republicans that wear bball shoes, probably....Jordan, actually)

sirronstuff likes this.
  12. vasashi17

And yet another reason to like Bron!

Crazy thing is that this message could also apply to Trump becoming president..cuz that s*** was crazy!

I understand there probably are some Nike products being made and some labor laws are being violated in some 3rd world country and Nike is turning a blind eye on it...but I guess one fight at a time.

Also, another Nike figure head approves...

Putting light on police brutality and the killing of unarmed civilians...how that's disrespecting our military/flag is beyond me. Yet that's what the narrative became and I hope that this causes the establishment to take a knee...cause they got nothing to stand on. Kaep was never protesting a foreign war...it was much closer to home, on our streets, where many "soldiers" weren't even armed.

I'm not denouncing the police as a whole...just the few that wield their power in an ego driven rage against unarmed civilians, no matter what race they are.