2019 Oakland Raiders Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by trodgers, Sep 8, 2014.

1. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    7-9, I say!

But I'm intrigued with Carr. I think he's going to be good.

2. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    5 wins, but I haven't checked their schedule. Anything more than that and they have a soft schedule.

Which reminds me, still think Romo is better than Kaepernick? During the game, the announcers kept referring to him as "elite" and "on his way to the Hall of Fame". 8-8 = HOF? The guy has one playoff win in his career.

3. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Romo IS better than Kap, but he sucked big time in game 1. But if Romo had the 49er D the last few years he would have won at least one Super Bowl.

4. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    STRONGLY disagree. I would never want Romo as my QB. He's missing the "it" factor and chokes in the big moments.

5. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    That's a good question, John. I think Romo's an excellent QB, honestly. Dallas hasn't had a good team in a long time, and that's hardly Romo's fault.
    I think it's obvious that Romo has had a better career, and Romo's best season is better than Kaepernick's best season. If I were drafting a dynasty QB, I'd want neither, but I'd take Kaepernick.

There's no way Romo could throw for 3100 yards and lead a team to 12 wins, because Dallas isn't nearly as good as SF. Romo on SF would be pretty awesome. Kaepernick on Dallas would be less awesome. That 91.6 rating Kap posted last year is lower than Romo's rating in six of the last eight seasons, and in one of those seasons, Romo was at 91.4 and 90.5 in the other. He's a really good QB.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I actually like Romo a lot more today than I did a year ago. It's becoming more and more obvious that he's not the problem. He's certainly not terrible.

As for Romo vs. Kaepernick, isn't that a bit unfair? Kaepernick hasn't been around very long it's hard to compare in small sample sizes. I'd say as a pure QB, Romo is much better. As a football player, Kaepernick is probably a bit better just because of his diversity.

7. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Kaepernick had Boldin and V Davis (who can't catch) last year. Crabtree was hurt / out last year. Give Kaep a guy like Dez and it would be crazy. Also, SF is a running team that is rarely out of games that force Kaep to throw to get them back in it. Very conservative approach. Lastly, Harbaugh doesn't want Kaep running until the playoffs to keep him upright. Notice how much his rushing yards go up in the playoffs.
    IMO, there's no comparison. Kaep doesn't get to throw it as much as Romo, by design and game situation. But if I were starting a team, I'd take Luck and then Kaep. Romo wouldn't be in the top 15.

8. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Hold on. Anquan Boldin is one of the most underrated receivers ever. He's my favorite WR in the NFL other than guys who went to Notre Dame, and I've followed him his whole career (I actually think he's every bit as good as Larry Fitzgerald). Yes, Dez Bryant is really good, but don't SF fans like to say that Davis is the best TE in the game? The defense is so much better, too. And Dallas hadn't had a 1000 yard runner for years until Murray did it (Julius Jones was the one before that).
    And for just the reasons you say - running game that keeps them in it, Kaepernick doesn't have to carry the team. Romo does routinely.

Which QBs would I take starting a team? I'd take Wilson over Kaepernick.

9. therealdeal

To start a team I go Luck, Stafford, Wilson, then Kaepernick.

It took me a long time to warm to Stafford, but if you watched the game last night the guy was a surgeon. He was drafted into a great situation that allowed him to grow into a great young QB. Wilson is a gamer and a winner. Luck is probably my favorite kid to watch in the League right now. You can watch him grow throughout the game.

I like Kaepernick. He's got elite size and speed at his size, but until I see him in a few legitimate QB shootouts where he comes out on top in an offensive game, I can't give him a nod over the other kids. Wilson is actually the same to me, but the kid has a ring and I can't argue with that.

10. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Boldin is great. I hope he makes the Hall of Fame. Some of the catches he makes are "mind bottling". He was all we had last year at WR. So Kaepernick's numbers are obviously gonna be down. The other WR position was non-existent for us until Crabtree came back in week 11 (not 100%). SF has receivers this year, so we'll see how he does. I think he'll have a big season (stat-wise) because Gore is slowing down and our defense is missing arguably our 2 best players (Aldon and Bowman). Davis is FAST and scores a lot of TDs, but trust me, I've seen every game he's played - dude can't catch. It has to be in his belly or over his head for a basket catch or he's dropping it. He bobbled the first TD Sunday (not once, but twice on the same catch) and dropped a sure 1st down because Kaep hit him in the chest.

Sunday's game is a great example of Kaepernick and Romo. Kaepernicks team was up, so they ran and played it safe. He rarely threw in the 2nd half and surely wasn't attacking like they were down. Romo was down, so he aired it out and got some yardage and a late TD out of it when the game was over. It's like when people say Marino never won because he never had a running game. My response is, true, but he also has all those records because he never had a running game.

I'm not a big fan of Wilson, mainly because I hate Seattle. But he's got the "it" factor. That's for sure. Realdeal listed the other guy I like -- Stafford. But at the end of the day, I'll still start with Luck and then it's Kaepernick for me. I really didn't think it was in question. IMO, Kaepernick is lot better than Romo.

11. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

If you think Romo is a good QB, I no longer value your football acumen.

I have friends and family members alike that are huge Cowboys fans that totally agree that Romo is part of the problem, not the solution, in Dallas.

Kaep all day over Romo...thank you very much.

But then again, the defense of Romo is something I should have suspected in a thread dedicated to the Raiders...shoulda probably moved this thread to the Dumpster :p

12. therealdeal

:p

Don't value my opinion all you want, but Romo is a good QB. If you want pure QB play, he's better than Kaepernick. I'm not saying he's a better football player though. Kaepernick can do more things because he's younger, bigger, stronger, etc. If you want a guy to set up in the pocket behind a good offensive line and find targets on the field? Romo is better than Kaepernick.

13. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    And the award for first thread hijacking goes to John3:16!

14. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
  15. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Talk of Carr being back after the bye week? Premature rush and reeks of desperation of a season rapidly circling the drain. I don't want the young man sustaining more injuries.

Oh and on the Romo vs. Kaepernick? Two different styles. Romo is the better passer in the pocket. Kaepernick is more athletic obviously. The former is flourishing because of an improving O-line and the emergence of Murray in the backfield. Romo does not have to force plays to win. There's balance in Dallas.

16. gcclaker

Sparano digs a hole during practice...retrieves the game ball from Game 4...drops it in...takes a shovel, scoops some dirt and throws it on. He then asks his players to do the same. Everyone of them takes him on. Shades of Bill Belichick circa 2001-2002. Chargers coming into The Black Hole.

Will it fire up the troops? Who knows... Sparano is being given kudos for making his presence felt unlike the last coach who looks like he just came off a boy band. Kenbrell Tompkins ex-Patriot picked up off waivers to fill in for Streater.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    trodgers likes this.
  17. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I didn't know that. That's a really awesome story.

BTW, I think Kenbrell is one of the best pickups of the season. He does have awesome talent, and this might be the kind of place where he can flourish.

18. gcclaker

^Sparano could possibly be Tom Cable 2.0. Really liked that guy. Punched an assistant whom he felt was throwing him under the bus spying for Darth Siddious.

I was wondering what happened to Tompkins. With LaFell, Amendola, Edelman, Gronkowski and Wright heading Patriot receiving corps, seemed like he was the odd man out.

19. gcclaker

Picked up LB Ray-Ray Armstrong off waivers. Maiava and Roach both out.

20. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Crikey. We need Roach back, but I take it Sio's playing this week then?