2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Probably not if we're all honest. Vander was a terrific scorer at the G-League level. Payton II is not the same type of scorer.

I'd say if we're lucky we get another Hart type.

2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

[​IMG]

Weezy, Cookie, abeer3 and 4 others like this.
  3. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Vander is better than that guy. Maybe it’s a favor from the Lakers to the Glove.

4. therealdeal

Probably not. I think the Lakers saw everything they needed from Vander and it was clear he wasn't an NBA player to them. The point of this system is to get young guys that might develop into contributors. No point in holding Blue here for any longer if he's not going to make the cut.

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Is Vander now off the G League roster as well or just the 2 way contract?

6. vasashi17

[​IMG]

7. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

8. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

I am afraid that Dung takes up too much crap space for him to be moved.

Kenzo, Juronimo, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Sirron, this post has now been up for 1 hour and 40 minutes and we have no response? Are you OK?

ZenMaster, Kenzo, Barnstable and 5 others like this.
  10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    LOL, I'm ok, but am in the Philippines. I'm 16 hours ahead of CA time, and a brother has to catch some zz's at some point.

but super like at "crap space"

:Laugh:

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Texas all fixed up now so left again?

sirronstuff and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  12. vasashi17

Woj talking on Zo, Randle, Luke

therealdeal, Cookie, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  13. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

“You don’t make organizational changes for DeMarcus Cousins”. :D I love Woj.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

woj agrees that there's simply no one out there that's an obvious upgrade to luke.

also interesting to hear how confident he is that cousins will stay in NO this summer. i wonder if that's pure speculation (he didn't claim "sources"). not that i care too much, as cousins's badassery still isn't really translating into wins, even next to anthony davis.

15. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I don't know why it hasn't happened yet because it seems so obvious....but Randle & Deng for Noel makes too much sense. Noel next to Brook Lopez actually makes a lot of sense as Noel can defend the rim and switch onto guards and Lopez spreads the floor enough for Noel p&r with Lonzo....

Randle becomes the Mavs best big by far and then they have a chance to secure him over the summer as well. Dirk has also been very complimentary of Randle since he came into the league. I would HATE to give up on Randle but if we're truly going for 2 superstars this summer...then i guess this is the way to go.

16. Savory Griddles

Yeah. In theory, Cousins and PG-13 fit perfectly with our current core as KCP and and Lopez replacements. We can even keep one of Clarkson or Randle (both if PG-13 and Cousins were to take a slightly less than the max).

But Anthony Davis is a better player than PG-13 and Boogie/Davis are struggling to make the playoffs. Our supporting cast around the two would be better, but no where near good enough to make up the gulf between the Rockets, Spurs and of course Warriors. Heck, you could make the case that neither PG-13 or Cousins would be the 3rd best player if they were on the Warriors.

17. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Please no Cousins. That’s the last one of my Melo/Love/Boogie trinity who is still a threat.

Just. No.

tada likes this.
  18. Savory Griddles

But what if we were to sign all three? Maybe together they could create something...something so amazing that we would never have been able to imagine it without seeing it with our own eyes.

19. therealdeal

So with the news that Julius isn't fetching as much as the Lakers need in order to move him and they're not getting takers on Deng's contract without multiple 1sts attached, how do they get to two max deals?

Assuming Deng isn't willing to help, we have to waive him no matter what. That's an added 7.362 million dollars.
    Randle's cap hold will be a problem for our cap, but we should at least have an idea of what FAs are coming before it's a critical problem. He'll be 12.448 million.

That means we're sitting at:
    Clarkson- 12.5
    Randle- 12.448
    Lonzo- 7.462
    Deng- 7.362
    Ingram- 5.757
    Nance- 2.272
    Kuzma- 1.69
    Hart- 1.655
    Zubac- 1.545
    Bryant- 1.378
    Cap Holds- 1.746*
    Total- 55.815 million**

*- this operates under the assumption that Deng counts as a cap hold... I'm not sure if that's the case or not. He certainly counts against the cap, but I'm not sure if his salary also counts as a hold as well. I'm going to assume it doesn't and that his salary is enough to justify a cap hold. If anyone can make that determination for me, please feel free to correct me.
    **- This means waiving our Bird Rights to Lopez, Brewer, Ennis and we certainly don't extend anything towards KCP.

The projected cap for 2018/2019 is set at 101 million which leaves us only 45.185 million to spend.

A max contract does not actually come out to the exact 25/30/35% number, but for these budgeting purposes I'll use the full amount.

At 45.185 million we have enough to get Paul George or Boogie Cousins (30.3 million) and still have 14.303 million left to spend. A good amount that might be able to nab you a solid player (Avery Bradley?). Maybe you just give a balloon payment one-year contract to KCP or Lopez again?

So how do they get to two full max deals while keeping Julius? They'd have to:
    1. Trade Clarkson with no salary returning
    2. Trade away some combination of Nance AND TWO of Bryant, Hart, Kuzma, Zubac.

Let's say they traded Clarkson/Nance/Zubac to a team for a lottery protected future 1st round pick and waive Bryant. That clears 15.367 million and gets you up to 59.756 million dollars. If you sign a max deal (30.3) million that leaves you with 30.834 million or juuuuuuust enough to add another max deal. Except of course this is only a max deal for George/Cousins and not for LeBron... This also means gutting at least some of the team's depth in order to pursue George/Cousins which is looking unlikely. You'd end up with a team that looks roughly like this:

Lonzo/Ennis?
    George/Hart
    Ingram/Brewer?
    Randle/Kuzma
    Cousins/?

So how do they get two full max deals while keeping Julius if one of those deals is LeBron?:
    1. They can't.

If LeBron is one of the players that's willing to sign here, you roll into the summer with Julius's Bird Rights and then you waive those Bird Rights ONLY IF LeBron has agreed to sign here. You might find that George doesn't want to come, but LeBron wants to anyway and you can keep Julius then (meaning only one max deal), but otherwise there's no real way to make that happen.

1. Trade Clarkson with no salary returning
    2. Waive BR to Julius

That clears up 23.884 million and brings the Lakers' available cap budget up to 69.069 million dollars. You could sign LeBron (35.5 million) and that would leave 34.151 million which is more than enough to sign George as well. It'd leave a small amount of cash (4.433) million to sign a veteran *cough*Wade*cough* and the Lakers would have the 4 million room exception to sign another vet as well. The pro to this one? You get LeBron and you keep most of your depth. The con? You give up two good young pieces. As much as Julius has shown, this seems like the best scenario for most everyone as Julius would almost certainly go to Dallas (home) for a nice deal. In this scenario you end with:

Lonzo/Wade?
    George/Hart
    Ingram/Brewer?
    LeBron/Kuzma
    Lopez?/Zubac/Bryant

20. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I think a good first move would be to send Clarkson for a future 1st. That way, we have an asset to pair with Randle+Deng if the package is right, or we keep open the cap hold the 1st Rounder would've had in 2018, and gives us an asset for future deals.

As much as I love JC's ability to score, he doesn't execute well, which doesn't fit into Luke's system. He reminds me of another JC, Jamal Crawford, without the flash. Good scoring ability, can get hot, but also, streaky and throws off the rhythm of the team, imo. While I do think we need that off the bench, I feel his scoring can be made up from other players like Hart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.