2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

dj opted out n got the same $, who giving whiteside 27mill next yr even if 1yr deal?

alam1108 likes this.
  2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Net's took Moz with a #2 pick. Cavs took two serviceable players, one of them a former player's son.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Hahah...so yall work in absolutes now, huh?

With half the league having significant cap space next summer, its not a question of what can happen, its what can't happen?

Last time the league got a cap spike, what happened?

KD is too much of a competitor to join the dubs, right? Bron is too much of a puss to head out west instead of just having a cake walk to the finals out east, right? George is definitely LA bound cause Mintz said he was hellbent, right? Boogie to the mini-MLE...can't happen, right? Kawhi wanting out of the supermax, as did Paula...they won't throw away at an opportunity at grabbing that type bag, right? KD is definitely going to get his max this summer since he sacrificed last summer, right?

Hassan is going to be 30 and will probably looking at one final pay day like DJ is next summer. You sacrifice a few million in year 1 of a contract, but signing a 3 year 60m deal is more than 27m, right?

Again, with Hassan on the books, we can waive him and still offer Kawhi his max. Having 9m of dead cap on the books is not ideal, but if yall are concerned that noone will help the Lakers, well, we can still help our damn selves...so why yall sweatin it?

4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I'm not the one dealing in absolutes. I'm saying he can or he can't pick up his player option and that will make things complicated for when we need that cap space to sign Lebron's running mate.

You are the one that seem certain he'll opt out for a longer contract. Does he play (or care to play) hard enough to even get a big payday? Who knows.
    The thing with DJ is he still plays and focuses on playing and that the Mavs actually want him.

All I'm saying is that it's a risky move.

EDIT:
    Speaking of Whiteside.
    https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article215892175.html

Alcindor and abeer3 like this.
  5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

whiteside couldnt even get much pt against phi who plays traditional post up big style, how is he even gona manage in the west against the likes of gsw/hous....gsw has made adams/gobert/capela all unplayable when they go to their hampton 5 n those dudes are way better that whiteside....@vash, i know you have stated that instead of matching up to gsw, we should make them matchup to us, well when hou n utah couldnt do it with 2 of the top C in the league i dont see how we could even with a whiteside

6. vasashi17

Whiteside was playing injured last season and says he feels good now, per the source that alam provided above. He also mentions, he doesn't want to be the focal point on the offense, rather he just wants to be on the floor and says he's healthy enough to do that now.

First I want to dismiss Capela as some kind of staunch defender. He is not! He can help secure defensive rebounds (Htown ranked 3rd as a team in dreb%), but in terms of blk shots (Htown tied with us in blks per game and were rated as a middle of the pack team in that regard) and limiting points in the paint (Htown was rated 28th while we were dead last), Capela had no significant impact in that regard.

Htown was ranked 9th worst (gave up 63% shooting at 5 ft or less) in the regular season and were 5th worst (gave up 62.5%) in the postseason when it came to rim protection.

Where the Rockets excelled is their perimeter defense: 6th best in protecting 10-14ft shot attempts, 1st best in protecting 15-19ft, 5th best in protecting 20-24ft and 3rd best in protecting 25-29ft). And with the losses of Ariza and Mbah a Moute, that's surely going to take a hit.

I believe Utah didn't have the consistent scoring threat/star that Htown had...unless you consider the rookie Mitchell to be that dude. Crowder was also the perimeter defender they relied on, but Mitchell and Rubio were guys that looked/defended well since RudyG made them look legit out there. You remove RudyG from the equation and Utah's defense goes to s***.

I'm not saying Hassan is "the" answer, but in limited minutes Miami ranked in the top 5 in terms of defending the paint. We clearly have a need for a rim protector and instead of having Deng just sit out a year, I would rather roll the dice and trade for an asset like Hassan, who can help in the short term, possibly be flipped in a Kawhi deal later and at the very worst, can be stretched next summer to still provide a max slot for a free agent.

7. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

when i mentioned utah against gsw, it was with hayward last yr...gsw embarrased rudy on thise pnr switches but i get your pt in doing this, 6mill is already lot of dead $ for 3 yrs, 9mill is pretty much a solid above avg role player $ though. i say pay the price with multpile picks n go after tyson chandler, we all know he has no future with pho, deng can go ahead n mentor all those youth of theirs

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't think this is factually correct. moreover, i think a big part of the problems with their respective small market franchises was that the team was balking at the supermax, not the player.

and yes, many unexpected things happen, but you can't plan on that.

that said, i'd do a deng-based whiteside swap if only because whiteside's not a corpse. it cannot be overstated how useless deng is as on-floor asset. it's why ryan anderson is about to be traded for a useful player (bazemore) while we are still stuck with weekend at bernie's.

now i'm mad again.

9. vasashi17

Alam: didn't intend to put words in your mouth. I just don't believe every team is out to get us at the moment. Every team has their individual motivations and it's up to the Lakers to exploit that to our advantage. “No one wants to help the Lakers" is the comment I was refuting. SA probably didn't want to deal with LA, but if we further opened our cupboard, a deal probably gets done (not saying, that should have been the play).

Khmrp: good reference, but RudyG wasn't the defensive player he was 2 years ago and that dubs team wasnt the same team they were last year either. Coming off a 73-9 wasted season and adding a ringless KD, that team had something to prove and just like the 15-1 Lakers playoff team, no team no matter how good they were defensively was going to stop a team that was on flames. It's also comparable to that 2011 Mavs title team. The dubs are clearly running on fumes now and you can catch them slipping with the right squad. I think a rim protecter helps in that regard.

Abeer: Indy had already designated George as a supermax candidate if he met the criteria (making an all-nba team). Recall Pritchard repeatedly said it was a "gut-punch" when George demanded out and that's when his snitch a** launched a tampering probe on us. I believe Indy was ready to offer Paula the max, but we all now know how crooked that guy talks, so it caught them off guard and they traded for a guy with 88m in committed coin (money that would've gone to Paula instead). In terms of Kawhi, it was on him to keep from playing. The Spurs wanted him to play and the SD Pop summit was one last ditch effort in convincing dude to stay. He still demanded out, so again I believe he was willing to sacrifice that type of coin ($221m in a no income tax state...damn, dude must've really wanted out!)

abeer3 and alam1108 like this.
  10. vasashi17

Thank you! f*** these wannabe tough guys. You think you can just run your mouth and then not get these hands off the court bruh?
    Trade Deng for Zbo and lets have us a throw down with these guys from the bay that think they about that life.

#SmashBros
    #AlligatorMouthHummingbirdButt (@sirronstuff get to gif'ing that one my dude hahahahaha)

sirronstuff likes this.
  11. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    The idea that any fan of ours would want Whiteside and his whinny attitude makes me sad. Hell I would rather sign Deng for another year than have Whiteside on this team. There isn't a person in this league I want less on the Lakers than him.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  12. vasashi17

Sorry to make you upset @Battle Tested20 haha..but I pull on a Deng-Whiteside deal in a Thanos snap.

You bring his "attitude" here but you got vets like Bron and Rondo to keep his a** in check. Even then, its an absolute need that Deng clearly ain't providing at the moment. We needed a vet like Deng (even if he wasn't playing) when it was just our young boys. We got plenty of vets here now, so Deng isn't needed in that capacity anymore.

But fine, I try to be a people pleaser, so how about this guy?

I've seen other members bring it up before and I'm not down on it at all. Plus it seems like any player that has had a "negative" history with Bron seems to be on the roster with him now, so why not add another SmashBro to the mix? Unless NY is willing to do a Deng for Kanter trade instead...

And if you're still upset, then maybe this will help...

Going from the Lakers getting LABron to the cLips secret tunnel...hahaha

13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

What is this Clippers secret tunnel thing?

14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    That doesn't really fit the game we were playing, but just for kicks....

alligator2.png

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  15. vasashi17

Whaaa, you serious? You missed out bro...

And to supplement your viewing pleasure...

Btw @sirronstuff was expecting something a little less salacious buddy haha

16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    What? How is that Salacious?

:Crazyartest: :Kareemlook:

It's those eyes. they speak to you right? Just dripping with salaciousness.

:Laugh:

17. vasashi17

Hahaha well played sir.

sirronstuff likes this.
  18. vasashi17

Per Miami Herald:

PurPle n GoLd 1 likes this.
  19. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, I'm not opposed to Whiteside at all. He's a little knuckle headed, but he can board and block for sure.

PurPle n GoLd 1 likes this.
  20. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Not at that salary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.