2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Command .... no. But if Cuban really wants him then yes he will likely throw more at him just to f*** with the Lakers whether he gets him at that price or not? Isn't this our ongoing main fear?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Let's see how this lottery shakes out.

This is a big-man heavy draft. The notable players who don't play PF/C in the top 10 of most drafts are Trae Young and Luca Doncic (personally, I'd include Sexton, but he's typically not much higher than 10th in most mocks). Otherwise, they're likely picking between Bagley III, Ayton, Bamba, Jaren Jackson, Wendell Carter, Michael Porter, Kevin Knox. Maybe they end up reaching a little for Mikal Bridges or Miles Bridges, but otherwise I'd expect them to end up with a big in the draft.

Back at the trade deadline Cuban said he'd take back salary for picks or "guys that can play". Maybe he turns into a dumping ground for Deng if they end up drafting a big man. There's just too much time to make any definitive calls right now or even worry about what might happen.

3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

To add to what Real is saying, here is what Cuban is saying as of today:

Yeah, sure sounds like a potential Deng dumping ground, along with ATL who just hired a coach for "player development".

There are too many factors at play here, but if you consider Mintz coming out and supporting Luke during that whole Lavar episode and this with Jules still coming off the bench, then you have to think Mintz isn't trying to lose any relations with the Laker FO since PG most likely wants to come here. If Jules didn't like it in LA and didn't get the 12M exxtension, he could have told Mintz, get me to a team that will start me and pay me. Mintz goes back to the FO telling them that they should trade Jules while they can, as long as they give PG everything he demands in free agency.

There are so many ways this could have shaked out, but instead Mintz publicly endorses Luke...so that at least gives me some hope, that he wants both PG and Jules to stay in LA.

Remember the Mavs can offer anything, but its up to Jules to accept that offer. He can either scour the market place and bring back to the Lakers the largest offer he can find to see if they match, or he can wait out what happens with PG/Bron and see how much money is left for him once those deals are verbally in place.

Traditionally, since RFAs tie up another team's cap via an offer sheet, the timeline is usually UFAs that fly off the market first and then teams start committing money to RFAs.

4. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

That confirms what I fully believed and that was Dallas will have legit cap space and will be a player in the market, very likely for Randle and be the main competitor for LA for his services. They haven't been shy at all in recent seasons about renouncing who they need to in order to maximize their cap space and throwing big time offers at guys who generally aren't perceived to be the prime free agents. I mean, they've tried for the prime free agents but clearly struck out. Laker fans can sympathize.

I think the Mavs will do their due diligence on the free agent market and see who is legitimately attainable and who is not. They may very well feel Randle is their best bet and be at his door step at 12:01am at the start of free agency and be prepared to make a big offer knowing full well it'll tie up their cap space early on. IF the Mavs make a big offer to Randle at the onset of free agency, I can see Randle just accepting the offer and then seeing what the Lakers do. For all the talk of Randle wanting to stay in LA, I don't think he'd view ending up on the Mavericks in his hometown of Dallas and being paid big bucks in a state with no income tax as being a terrible alternative. Sure, the Lakers have a higher trajectory than the Mavs in terms of winning but generally guys coming off their rookie contracts just wanna get paid. The preference for winning generally comes later.

We'll see what Randle does but if I had to make a prediction, it's he signs an offer sheet right away.

5. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    It's been said before, but the amazing and in our case great thing about Randle and any decision he makes is that he shares the same agent as PG. Meaning I know Aaron Mintz is going to tell Randle lets be a little patient here the first 3 days before even signing an offer sheet. Ideally he'd want both PG and Randle to be in LA and if that's really the case Mintz will be patient and let this all play out. Meanwhile the Mavs can fight it out with HOU, PHX, and potentially others for Capela's services depending on what they get in the lottery.

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I hated liking your post. Dallas scares the f*** out of me. They know what the Lakers want to do this summer and they very well may really want Julius. What if they go 22-25M? Like Vash says though you can't let this guy just walk. He's too valuable. If his contract gets over 20M expensive to keep him as an asset then of course the FO hates they had to go that high and will be full time / all the time evaluating their strategic options going forward. The other side of the equation is Julius, as some of us are pointing out, genuinely appears to be that GUY now and going forward. Willing-to-work-his-a**-off GUY every off season and just keep getting stronger and better. If that steady progression happens again just this coming year then he is worth over 20M. He will be legit around 20 points 10 rebounds. In spite of what OX is hallucinating about with 13 and 8 or whatever his "argument" figure was in last 24 hours. But Cuban throwing something huge at him really hurts us.

I'm curious how much over the course of his new contract @therealdeal mentioned he thought was being negotiated as of yesterday .... Klay Thompson is giving up to stay?

Edit. Here's one link below. Holy **** is he really going to give up potentially 80M dollars?

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/05/...sing-contract-extension-golden-state-warriors

Under the latter scenario, Thompson would be eligible to earn over $80 million more than if he were to sign an extension now. Thompson, however, has been adamant about his desire to remain with the Warriors for some time.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  7. vasashi17

Seems that the Pels reached out with an offer that was less than the max and it was no bueno for Boogie.

We might have another big enter the market. I can see the Suns going Luka with the 1st pick and throwing all their cap at Boogie (then Capela as a contingency).

alam1108, Lakeshow85 and TIME like this.
  8. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    sheesh all of these guys believe they're worth Michael Jordan money...Only Bron, Durant and Curry deserve their maxes

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I can't. They can pair Ayton and Booker for the next decade. Luka might also be overkill if the Suns think Josh Jackson is the real deal. The Suns probably feel they are set on the wing with Booker and Jackson. Get the All-NBA rim protector. Why throw all your cap at Boogie (a dude coming off the dreaded Achilles rupture) when you can have your sg, sf and c locked up for under 20 million a year? Use that cap space to grab one of the other positions. Unless Ayton has something horrible in his past (criminal) or he blows something out during the predraft process, he'll be #1.

10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

If he's healthy, Kawhi certainly does as well. Hard to argue that Harden doesn't either.

Lakeshow85 and TIME like this.
  11. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Harden is an intentional omission...

12. vasashi17

Savs: The Suns traded for Elfrid at the deadline, so they are looking for someone to pair Booker with in the backcourt...Especially with Bledsoe wanting out and getting his wish. The recent hiring of Igor makes me believe that the Suns are looking to replicate what he did in the Euro league when he coached a backcourt of Dragic and Luka.

Ayton isn't even a defensive center. So if Igor wants to replicate what Rudy did for Utah... That ain't happening any time soon. I'm not saying Boogie is, but for a large early portion of last season Boogie was leading the league in +/- and with Booker and Luka the Suns are still young and won't be legit contenders till a little ways down the line. They can afford to wait on Boogie getting back to game shape.

Ayton makes alot of sense, but the hiring of Igor has me convinced that they are looking to Luka and he is the most NBA ready right now compared to the rest of the pack.

Either way, it's going to be Luka/Ayton going either 1 or 2. I was thinking the Suns could potentially trade down (via Cbags/Philly for Tatum) but with Sac there at 2, Vlade would take Luka if Suns go with Ayton at 1, so the Suns don't have that element of leverage for a trade down.

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  13. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

I actually did a "way too early mock" and I have Luka going #1 to PHX. Part of that is the Suns also have the #16 pick and I think they can get a fairly solid big man prospect there as well between Robert Williams, Mitchell Robinson, Jontay Porter. The other part is I just really am intrigued at the Suns rolling out a lineup with Luka-Booker in it and some combo of Josh Jackson, TJ Warren, Chriss, Bender at the F spots.

Lakeshow85 and Battle Tested20 like this.
  14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The Suns clearly like Doncic and I think they're gearing up to take him, but when you have Ayton on the board it might not be so easy to pass up. Ayton, in my opinion, is a better pick. Doncic is a sure thing to be pretty good. Ayton has the potential to be phenomenal.

15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

i wouldnt mind mgmt taking at DMC if we miss out on james. A 1+1 max deal to prove it, if dmc proves hes healthy n we winning he can opt out n get 5yr max after if not he can opt in n collect pay checks in yr 2 lol

alam1108 and Lakeshow85 like this.
  16. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

I wouldn't mind that either but I think if he was open to a 1+1, he'd be more likely to just do that with New Orleans than do it with another team.

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

hes probably already has hurt feelings with nop leak that theyre considering offering him less than max....also friend of mine said he heard on radio that Thompson once spoke to dmc as a casual run in n he asked cuz if he would sign with la n according to thompson, vuz said it would be an honor n he always wanted to play for lal

18. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

And from what I've read Cousins loves playing in New Orleans and is great friends with Anthony Davis. He also considered going to New Orleans a homecoming of sorts because he is from Mobile, AL and that's less than 150 miles away. I have no doubt he wants to play for the Lakers but if contracts were equal and for that short of a span, I don't really see him leaving New Orleans. He has a good thing going in New Orleans and if he wants to come to LA, well that's why that contract has outs in 2019 and 2020.

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  19. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

It’s going to take the first year of DMC’s contract just to recover. You won’t be able to tell if he’s worth the contract until the next year

20. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

I think both will be ok. nothing big

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.