2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Problem with Conley is that contract and he is coming back from a big injury. At least he is playing unlike Wall so he might be easier to move.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  2. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

sirronstuff likes this.
  3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Why would we want Conley (one of the worst contracts in the league) or Gasol (who basicly said to us FU)? I get, that it's "sexy" to use Lakers name in every trade possible but enough is enough. What's next... we're bringing Deng back?

sirronstuff and Khmrp like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it's only a bad contract if you suck or can't play. conley doesn't suck. he's 31 and has two years left at, yes, huge money. the only concern is he misses time pretty regularly. but if i was close to contention and wasn't strong at the pg spot, i'd give up something for him.

i'm surprised the mavs aren't going hard after him. they have a ton of upcoming cap space that nobody will take. they tried to get him in FA when he signed this deal. and they're in a weird spot with smith. smith/matthews/powell gets it done. problem is powell works really well in dallas's system and memphis has guys (jamychal green, jjj) that can play ahead of him. probably would need a third team.

if dallas did that, they'd still have close to max available in FA to get a center, but conley, luka, and barnes is a better "big" three than people think, imo.

anyway, i think a few teams are a conley away from making noise. philly could use him instead of butler, tbh. indy could be scary with him.

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Dall could use Marc more than Conley, all they need at PG is a 3/D type...Conley will have issues fitting just like Smith with Luka there now.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

they could probably use both, tbh--though carlisle likes rim-running/defensive bigs more than scoring/facilitating bigs.

as for pgs, carlisle (and his system) has had problems with inexperienced guards and rondo. i think conley would be a dream for him.

8. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Conley sucks relative to his contract. He's a fringe allstar being paid like a superstar. That, by definition, makes him overrated.

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, again, disagree. he's overpaid...AND underrated. i think he's a winner that's spent his career trapped with a loser organization. if he gets freed, he could be the missing piece. you have to get past the salary and think about production and impact on the game.

sirronstuff likes this.
  10. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I'm not sure I follow your logic --- how can he be paid more than Kevin Durant AND be underrated at the same time?

Are you arguing that he's really a franchise player (ie Lebron, Harden) put in the right situation?

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I'm arguing that productive vets will always be overpaid. Really, any max that isn't in the MVP race is overpaid. But I'd rather pay Conley 75 million for two years than pay, say, kcp 30 million for two years.

And pay doesn't equal fan/media esteem.

Anyway, I'd gladly move kcp/Beas/Stephenson/rondo for Conley. But Memphis wouldn't take it. Kinda makes the point.

12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I wouldn't do it. He's not only overpaid but aging and injury prone. So he comes with a lot of baggage. Reeks of another Nash situation.

I can not begin to express how disappointed I'd be if Conley fills up our 2nd max slot.

I'd glady split his $30M salary into Rondo, McGee, and someone like Nance for 1 year deals.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

dsj makes no sense here, imo. another suspect shooter, and he's not great off the ball, either. would be a very bad pairing with lebron unless you plan to use him as a bench scorer.

sirronstuff likes this.
  15. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I’m sure no one here wants to deal with Indiana but with Oladipo likely out for the season and it being a little too late for them to tank, anything interesting we can do with KCP there?

Toneloc likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't see anything sensible. i'm sure they'd love to dump mcdermott's salary given that he only plays about 15mpg for them and he's signed for two more years at 7 per, but we don't want salary. and really, that's our issue with any trade.

17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

if Indy gets injured salary exception, could KCP fit into it?

18. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I kind of disagree. Lebron can play with another ball dominant player (Wade and Kyrie). It just has to be the right type. Honestly, I would consider Ball for him, not because I think he's a better player, but because Ball is hurt ALL THE TIME. At what point are Lonzo's knees an ongoing issue? But what he's suggesting on the podcast (Hart, filler and a second rounder) I do that in a nano second. Dennis Smith Jr. probably has more trade value than Hart to go after AD. We can then freely give up Ball and Ingram with picks to get AD and still have a young pg.

abeer3 likes this.
  19. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Ankles more than knees, but yes, I kind of agree. Although I really like Lonzo.

20. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Jan. 15th was the deadline to apply for a disabled player exception. Plus KCP is making about 12m, so he wouldn't be able to fit into any disabled player exception (DPE), since the most any team can get in a DPE is the amount of the non-tax paying MLE + 100k (ie 8.7m).

The only team that has large enough exceptions is Denver with a 12.8m (via WChandler trade) and 13.8m (via the Faried trade). Even then, I doubt they would make that type of move cause they actively tried to get off of paying any luxury taxes for this year and if they add KCP via one of their trade exceptions, they would be roughly 5m into the tax.

JohnnyComeLately2k6, Khmrp and abeer3 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.