Lakers/NBA Salary Cap Thread

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I know the story bout Bos but do you really think Bos ownership can afford 2 SUPER max dudes? I realize horford will expire next yr and hayward in 2 yrs but 2 super max is going to wreck their cap space though

2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Yeah, I was being optimistic with AD before, hoping that he would pick us over Boston...but I'm starting to pivot when you consider the practicality of our package vs their package as well...

Look at it this way:

Tatum (2017 3rd overall pick)
    Brown (2016 3rd overall pick)

Ball (2017 2nd overall pick)
    BI (2016 2nd overall pick)
    For all the folks thinking BI has regressed, what leaps has Jaylen Brown made exactly this year?

+ We have a Kuz (2017 SOD candidate)...they dont

We have insider thinking...they dont
    Bron's pitch vs Ky's pitch...who do you think a Klutch client will gravitate towards?

We have CBA rules...they dont
    CBA rules stipulate no team can have more than 1 designated free agent player on their roster via trade...Ky makes one, which means a trade for AD can't happen till they resign Ky to his bird rights AFTER he opts out of his player option...unless they plan to trade Ky for AD. Would AD stick on a team where he and Hayward are the headliners?

We have cap...they don't.
    Next year, Gordon Hayward is making 32.7m and Hortford is on 30.1m player option if he opts in (he should). So if they involve any of those players in a package for AD @27.1m, then Nop has to send more money back to Boston cause they're going to need more salary to match. So for example Hayward + Tatum means Nop has to involve either Moore or Solomon in an AD package to have enough outgoing salary. Meanwhile if LA signs Kawhi, we have remaining cap space to absorb and turn AD's cap hit into 21.6m, meaning we only need 16.6m in outgoing salary to match (Zo+BI make 16m in aggregated salary...so for example Zo+BI+Bonga for AD is a legal trade). And let's say we whiff on free agency, then we'll have enough cap space to completely absorb AD's contract...so let's say we trade 9 (not 11) future 1st rounders (Stepien be damned) for AD...under those conditions, that would be a legal trade.

Other than playing in the same conference as NOP, we have far fewer limitations and a more appealing potential package to acquire AD than those other guys do.

Btw, Sac keeps killing the value of their 1st rounder owed to Boston...so there's that too.

3. vasashi17

Lets look at our books for the summer after the Svi/Zu deals:

Bron 37.4
    Zo 8.7
    BI 7.3
    DeadDeng 5
    Moe 2.1
    Kuz 2
    Hart 1.9
    Bonga 1.4
    Incomplete roster charge of 5: 4.5
    = 38.7m of cap space

Add KD's max of 38.2m to the books leads to the incomplete roster charge reflecting 4 and now our available cap space is 1.4m. As a result, we have to send a minimum outgoing salary of 20.5m for AD in a trade this summer. BI/Zo's aggregated 16m salary need to be part of the package, but we have the option of sparing one of Kuz, Hart, Moe or Bonga in a package for AD. Also we don't need to take on salary like Hill and/or Moore cause they expiring and we'll just tell the Pels "f*** off"...we'll get AD in a year.

Add Kawhi/Ky's max of 32.7 to the books leads to available cap space of 6.9m. That means we can spare either BI or Zo from an AD trade package. Also we acquired Bullock's bird rights (4.8m caphold) and can retain him if he balls out for us this year.

Look up and down the 2020 free agency list....I'll save yall time....other than AD, it ain't s***. We gotta be aggressive with our cap now and that's why all the big markets are pushing their chips in for this summer. We got Bron now to help recruit and it started tonight with all-star selections.

1) KD
    KD is rumored to be Knicks bound, but dude states that he doesn't trust the media. He obviously can't be trusted on social media either. LA is a big market, but Bron can shield dude from the media attention, while he balls out. He also will win as many titles as Bron this year (if the the dubs win it all) and will be largely viewed as his equal and on similar footing. Maybe a team-up happens...seeing how Bron's chosen dude 1st 2xs in a row as all-star team captain, you can't deny Bron's interest in teaming up with him. Also Bron took great offense with the "toxic" quote KD made and judging from KD's recent comments, he can't f*** with the media any longer cause they keep misrepresentating him. Either way, KD looks to be our number 1 FA target...or at least Bron's.

2) Ky
    They made up with each other and Bron hasn't soon anything without Ky and looks like Ky won't either this year. So bring the band back... plus the LA market needs an odd ball personality like Ky...and of course Uncle Drew 2.

3) Kawhi
    I got nothing. There was that picture from last summer with Kawhi, KD and Bron, and also that report where Kawhi reached out to Bron 's camp to express interest in a team up... but other than that Kawhi is enigma.. which is why I suppose he's linked to the equally enigmatic papercLips.

Anyways...see y'all in the summer. Either way it should be fun. #BallnOrBawln

#TinFoil'n

abeer3, Cookie, alam1108 and 2 others like this.
  4. vasashi17

A couple things real quick:

With our remaining roster spot, I would like to see a 2yr deal constructed in this format, where the 2nd yr becomes fully guaranteed with a summer trigger date.

That s*** would give us a little more flexibility in a potential AD trade this summer. Dont use the remaining roster spot on Melo...rather use it on a player with potential trade value.

Mus is a scrap tonight and with the March 1st buyout/waive playoff eligible deadline approaching...I could see him being bought out and his spot given to Melo.

Also alot of you ain't going to like this but 2020Plan could be a thing if the AD thing goes sideways. AD is the only guy of note for the 2020 free agent class. However guys like Ky, Kawhi, Klay and Butler are all 8 year vets that will have their 9th season conclude next year. Meaning they all enter the 2020/21 season as 10 yr vets eligible for the 35%max as opposed to the 30%max they'll have this summer.

Expect all of them to either opt into their player options for next season or opt out and sign 1+1 deals this summer and opt out for the summer of 2020 to get that extra coin.

Btw, I just realized Boogie along with KD are the only 2 with 9+ years of service this coming summer. Both them dudes will be 35% max eligible.

#2020ContingencyPlan

alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  5. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Why even trade Zu if we are just going to waive Muscala?

alam1108 likes this.
  6. vasashi17

Dumb trade...I didn't hide my feelings about it then either. At the very least a future 2nd rounder.

My only slant on it is that we tried to take care of dude and his agent (Mus, Zu and Middleton all share the same agent) and his bird rights by keeping him in LA across the hall and knowing that the cLips will try to keep him via his RFA status and their available cap space of 50m+, while we probably wouldn't have with our 38m (just enough for a 35%max guy).

#Player/AgentRelations

abeer3 likes this.
  7. vasashi17

Kawhi, Ky, Klay, Butler, Kemba are all 9yr players next year going on becoming 10 yr vets (eligible for 35%max).

1+1 deals this summer are the smart bet, unless Mintz represents any of them (Paula's contract is still a clusterf*** to me, but hey, her loss).

Add to that the possibility that AD gets traded to an undesirable and then enters 2020 free agency looking for a new home.

Suddenly 2020 free agency is stacked again. But I still think if a team lands a 1+1 free agent this summer, they're his to lose. If the situation goes sideways, then dude is probably out and Miami/Riles is lurking.

Also BI is RFA that summer if we don't give him an extension next year.

And that 2021 unprotected Miami pick the cLips got in the Tobias trade loses value if Riles strikes with his roughly 80m in cap space for the summer of 2020.

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

is he gona check Greak tonight or we gona sic Kuz on him? lol

9. vasashi17

Really what's the point of your post in here?

[​IMG]

Anyways, we're gonna do the same thing we do every night, Pinky...try to shut your usual hatin a** up.

#Lulz

10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

wrong thread to post in, meant to do so in James thread....and this is the condescending BS nobody likes about you.

alam1108 and sirronstuff like this.
  11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    i tried to ignore him, but the system says can't ignore a mod. He's in a mood lately for sure. Dwight might be mad at him over the whole embarrassing injury thing tho, so I'm cuttin' him slack.

Khmrp likes this.
  12. vasashi17

And your condescending BS makes you so delightful? Kick rocks...through a maze or something. #Hypocritter

13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I'm not condescending, I just share MY OPINIONS but I dont go degrading others that dont agree with my own until I get the same treatment 1st. #keeptinfoiling #modtrollz #magicshrining

[​IMG]

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. vasashi17

Hypocrisy: a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not : behavior that contradicts what one claims to believe or feel : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue

Hypocrasy: this guy!
    [​IMG]

#GetUrRatA**BackAcrossTheHall

15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

sorry I can't be a HOMER 24/7 wearing that purple/gold glasses every where I go...I guess you can't compliment another FO or team for making actual solid BBALL moves w/o being called a traitor these days. I mean should I be completing a FO that traded a solid C because of fears of not being able to pay him and then turn right around to look for a C again? Or should I try to spin these moronic moves and come up with straw man like you "player relations" lol...#gtfho

16. vasashi17

Compliment away...but then criticizing us..no wait not us, you with them... criticizing the Lakers for not only doing the same thing...but succeeding!

Have the cLips gotten anything with that cap? Did trading Blake lead to domination in the playoffs last year? Trading Tobias has them on flames with a 4-4 record since. Solid bball moves there!

Take your bum a** across the hall....better yet... take it to a mirror to see which blazer you still got on before commenting further, Darrell

#TimeForPestConTroll
    #HypocrittersRunninWildOutHere
    #lulz

17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    :Crazyartest:

it feelz like dis could turn violent

tada and Cookie like this.
  18. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Guys, could you please just tone this down, collectively? It's not fun anymore, it's just unpleasant at this point. It's enough that we have to deal with team - especially the bench - this season.

19. vasashi17

Im done with it...for now.

Summer will bring a whole new wave, I'm sure. I'll just put my #PestControll gear in the closet next to my shrine till then.

20. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I mean, I am sorry I have to interfere like this - I get both sides, really. Everyone is frustrated, with the team, with certain players, coach, management, with other posters etc. I understand it. But I think we are collectively better than this. At last we know what everyone thinks and we can agree to disagree at this point, until, as you said, this summer. Whatever happens, it's going to be an active and entertaining summer for us. Things will be discussed. :) :Noddingyes:

tada, Cookie, Kenzo and 1 other person like this.