Lakers/NBA Salary Cap Thread

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Jul 30, 2018.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

So it's true? He, for the first time since when .... has no No trade agreement in his contract?

Magic has him in some Jedi like mind grip or something.

[​IMG]

2. LTLakerFan

Thanks as always for your and you guys that do it's efforts in graphically and content wise making our salary situation more understandable.

But to the non KCP approved trade scenario ... OMG ..... Hells to the No! I'd rather keep those guys and get someone or someone plus someone else in this FO's talent evaluating eyes .... than Kawhi Leonard. Back to gutting the team again hypothetically when now We and HE, if he's serious, are so close we can all smell it. He has to want to be a Laker.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Your reasoning is sound, but there is something to beating the dubs as is that would be supremely satisfying.

I've been complaining how the cap spike helped the dubs and that is why their KD titles should be astericked. But I don't want a Klay or KD to the Lakers team beating the dubs cause that would just astericks us with their fans saying their team needed to be broken apart due to the cap.

It's no different than Doc Rivers claiming the cbags were unbeaten when Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG and Perk all played and were healthy.

Beat their a** as is and then I'm all for Klay coming on board. I wouldn't complain if KD came, since that chick bad even tho she's not my type.

Btw, I rounded all the numbers to not favor the Lakers cap numbers and we still have enough for KD's max of 38.2m, so Real's Woj post clarifying Deng's buyout amount going from 7.5m to 7.3m shouldn't hurt the cap projections I calculated earlier.

Also, my pleasure LT and the way that this Kawhi thing looks now, I'm thinking we're most likely going to add him in the summer next year, rather than trade for him this year.

4. LTLakerFan

...... and if true that is the epitome of due diligence by the new Lakers FO. It's perfect really. We have all our most valuable and hard won assets still and the PRIME FAs all need to strut their stuff this year.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and alam1108 like this.
  5. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    He's definitely underrated. Klay is in a league of his own when it comes to being chill and having no baggage. He's also one of the best shooters in NBA history with great 2 way ability but he'll continued to be underrated not just by our fan base but even the Warriors.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Klay would be tremendous, but all signs continue to point toward him re-signing up there long term.

The hope is that we force the Warriors to have to pick between Durant or Klay. I'm pretty sure the Warriors will choose to keep both and move on from Draymond Green.

7. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Agree.

8. vasashi17

For my TLDR fam...

9. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

TLDW

10. vasashi17

11. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  12. therealdeal

Interesting. He seemed to leave the door a little open, but I stand firm that to me Klay finishes his career up there as long as they're willing to pay him a good salary.

I think it's much more likely that Durant leaves.

13. vasashi17

Some #2019lan primer on my day off haha...

Kyrie, Butler and Klay are most likely off the board now and if we're being honest with ourselves, they were never really the end game.

Lakers with the buyout & stretch of Deng have opened up exactly the max amount for KD (10+ year 35% max guy = 38.2m in year 1 of contract). Out of all the available free agents next summer, only KD fits this profile. Guys like Kawhi and Boogie only qualify as 30% max guys (32.7m in year 1 of contract).

So our end game is either KD with all our available cap...or what I prefer...

Sign Kawhi to the max and have roughly 6m in salary cap space left still. Follow that up with a 25% designated rookie extension for BI (he's 1st eligible to receive being team designated next summer). That would mean that a rough projection of his new 6 year deal would be:

2019/20: 7.3m (remainder of his expiring rookie deal)
    2020/21: 27m (25% of cap at time of extension = 109m)
    2021/22: 29m (8% annual increases resulting in roughly 2m per)
    2022/23: 31m
    2023/24: 33m
    2024/25: 35m

= roughly 6 yr 165m designated rookie extension (ie avg of 27.5m per)

If BI gets extended and then traded in the 2019/20 season, he would be considered a poison pill contract in that the team trading for him would see him as a 27.5m incoming contract, but LA would see him as only a 7.3m outgoing contract.

Trading for ADs 27.1m contract during the summer of 2019 would mean that LA has to send at a minimum 21.6m in outgoing salary. If we trade for AD after maxing out Kawhi and extending BI, then we would have about 6m in cap space to take on a portion of AD's contract, meaning that we would have to send out a minimum of just 15.6m in salary. BI and Zo together make 16m, so that should get it done.

However, since BI is a poison pill contract, he would count as 27.5m incoming salary for NOP...add in Zo's contract and that means those 2 are a bit over 36m in incoming salary for NOP. AD's contract however only allows a max of 34m in incoming salary, so now what?

Thank goodness NOP is projected to have 10m+ in cap space next summer and could take on the additional incoming salary BI's extension would count as. Also there is the option of not designating BI as our rookie next summer and just trading his 7.3m contract to NOP and once they have him, they can designate him with an extension as their rookie.

IMHO our options are KD and kids...or KD and gutting our roster for AD

OR

Kawhi and kids...or Kawhi, holding onto Kuz, Hart and most of our 2018 draft class and trading BI/Zo for AD.

As much as I love BI, I prefer the latter so that KD stays in the bay and we can take down the monstars before they self-destruct.

Note: AD has a 15% trade kicker, but if he gets traded to a desired location like LA, he will likely waive it to facilitate a trade.
    Also BI can make way more if he makes an All-nba team or DPoY this year...then dude can be eligible to make 30% of the cap as opposed to just 25%.

14. therealdeal

Well laid out and the exact scenario I think the Lakers would love.

It's a moonshot for sure, but a good one.

15. vasashi17

Thx buddy!

We know Magic is into star power and Jeanie requested Allstars, so they're gonna put Rob to work and you'd think this is the quickest and most impactful way to #17 and beyond.

16. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Warriors...no Green...no Iggy...no rings. Bell and Looney can't replace those two if they move on.

17. vasashi17

I'm going to bump this cause a couple guys were interested in our cap strategy for next summer (ie #2019lan).

Cutting to the chase: Lakers next summer with Deng's dead money (5m), 8 on the roster - including Svi's nonguarteed contract (62.2m), and an incomplete roster charge of 4 (3.6m) = 70.8m

Cap is set to 109m, which leaves us with exactly 38.2m in cap space. KD's max 38.2m. Kawhi's max 32.7m.

If we need wiggle, Svi is an unguaranteed 1.4m that is fully guaranteed on 7/5/19 (which on the west, is the night when free agents can officially put pen to paper).

Imho, the end game is Kawhi/KD via free agency and AD/Giannis via trade. I'd be happy with any of those combinations, but I prefer Kawhi/AD and taking it to the (fully intact) dubs' heads.

18. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I'd go KD/AD but that's just me. To be fair though, I'd be just as happy with Kawhi/AD. All signs via trade seem to lead to AD though - not sure I understand why the Bucks would let go of Giannis, nor do I hear anything about him wanting out. He's in a good position there. I do think AD wants out though, and like it's no coincidence that we opened up enough salary to fit KD, I think it's no coincidence AD signed with Klutch and has been cagey about staying with NO in interviews.

19. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

@vasashi17 is there a way we can sign Kawhi and keep Lonzo and Hart while getting AD via trade?

20. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I don't think so. To fit AD, I'm guessing we'd have to be shipping out Ball and Ingram since despite their deals being on the rookie scale, they are still pretty lucrative from being #2 picks. Kawhi, AD and Lebron equals a shade over 97 million. Ball and Hart combined to make 10.7 or so. That would put us at 108 with a projected cap of 109. And that doesn't count all the other guaranteed contracts we have like Wagner, Bonga and Deng's excrement. Unfortunately, Ball would have to be gone with Ingram in this scenario. And if we're being honest, because the Pelicans know we must get rid of those two, they'd probably ask for Kuz or Hart to sweeten the deal. If we get all 3 stars, our lineup is probably

AD
    LBJ
    Kawhi
    Hart
    Rondo (on the room exception)

with a bunch of minimum salary filler.

OmarE likes this.