2019 Oakland Raiders Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by trodgers, Sep 8, 2014.

1. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Peter's King's MMQB SI's Props Todaze...

OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK

Marshawn Lynch, running back, Oakland. Forget the numbers—pedestrian ones: 18 carries for 76 yards, a catch for 16 more yards. Think of Lynch’s contribution to a 10-point win at Tennessee this way: On his 10 fourth-quarter runs, the Raiders burned 6:01 off the clock. Lynch, personally, was responsible for taking 40 percent of the clock away with positive fourth-quarter carries (10 carries, 38 yards) as the Raiders ran out the clock and even added to their lead in Nashville. This is precisely why Oakland traded for Lynch.

Note: I saw part of the Minny-Nawlins game tonight, did not see our old friend Latavius Murray play... Dalvin Cook looks legit.

SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Giorgio Tavecchio, kicker, Oakland. Might be the only player born in Milan to be named an MMQB player of the week. In fact, I’m rather sure of it. Might be the only played waived seven times to be named an MMQB player of the week too. But when lifetime Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski was put on IR the other day, the Raiders signed Tavecchio for the fourth time. Only this time he kicked when it mattered. And Sunday in Tennessee, he mattered. He kicked four field goals in the final 45 minutes—from 20, 52, 52 and 43 yards.

COACH OF THE WEEK

Todd Downing, offensive coordinator, Oakland. In his first game calling plays for the Raiders, the rookie coordinator matched wits with 80-year-old Hall of Famer Richard LeBeau, the Tennessee defensive coordinator. Downing’s unit put up 26 points and 359 total yards, and dictated the flow late, running the ball on eight consecutive snaps down the stretch to run out the clock in a 26-16 victory.

pound4pound and puffyusaf#2 like this.
  2. gcclaker

Raider kinda related notes:

Menelik Watson doing his thing...allowing pressure and near sacks. Shelby Harris with a block of the potential game tying FG.

AFC West is a gauntlet...

Liked the Mowins-Ryan announcing team. A bit choppy but they did not try to do too much.

pound4pound likes this.
  3. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

I thought it was awful, no chemistry whatsoever. Ryan really put some cringe lines such as "Someday you're the dog, someday you're the fire hydrant." BSPN put that sideline reporter Sergio Dipp our there and he was just :Laugh: having the time of his life!!!

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

Latavius only carried twice...fumbled on his first carry

5. gcclaker

I agree about Dipp. To me did came off as someone who didn't know what to say. I liked Mowins dating back to the pre-season games he did for Oakland. I thought Ryan was trying to find his spots though he did get repetitive like when he was admonishing Allen for taunting...

6. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    Oh we just dropped 45 on the Jets? Oh yea. I love this offense. THe AFC West is already showing it will be a dog fight. Chargers are 0-2 but could easily be 2-0 showing how important a FG kicker really is to a team, KC's offense is scary fast and Den once again has that scary D. The battles against these boys are going to be huge.

7. gcclaker

Right now, Chiefs are being touted as the biggest challenger to New England for the AFC crown. Denver's Siemian is garnering attention because of his solid play. San Diego as you said is just snakebit. All three are solid on both sides offense and defense.

Us? We are flying under the radar which is fine by me. Sunday night at the nation's capital looms.

8. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

[​IMG]

gcclaker and puffyusaf#2 like this.
  9. puffyusaf#2

its crazy. Lets not forget Chargers have a stud in Bosa too.

Im not sure if we are flying under the radar because our offense is so good. Car, Crab, Coop and Lynch are def all the pundits lips. Our defense on the other hand is still fairly suspicious at parts. The pass rush needs to be better to alleviate some of that pressure on the corners. Great offensive team will have a grand time with the way they are playing overall. Of course, I think teams would have to score over 24 to beat us if our offense is on. Hopefully the D will get better and better for those games against defenses that play us tough.

10. gcclaker

Yes our offense is receiving well deserved praise but there are still questions about our defense which hasn't been a sieve like last season though it is only two games in. I think our defense is on a bend not break mode. Statistically, Denver though cannot stop the run even if they did keep Dallas' Elliott in check today. They just did not respect Prescott to beat them with his arm. Kansas City is good but Smith is still not a game-breaker and was beat up today. Chargers get them at home so that I will keep tabs on that.

puffyusaf#2 likes this.
  11. puffyusaf#2

Yea "bend not break" is how I described them last season. They got better as games got going. Played pretty good last season in the 4th especially when the offense got stagnant late in games. I'm def hoping we can get early stops and get early points to force teams into having to force play. I didn't know Denv is having trouble stopping the run. That would play well for us with these backs we have. Love our backfield. I agree Smith isn't a game-breaker but that being said KC seems to have big game breaking moments every game. Lets not forget we don't like to beat them head to head. KC will be big test for us. Chargers will be dangerous I wouldn't be surprised if they beat KC.

12. puffyusaf#2

Im finally watching the game. Someone needs to tell our boys to stop with all the chirping. so many penalties because we have to brag and be in other players faces

13. gcclaker

Kansas City has Hunt and Hill who are great playmakers. Kelce too. Siemian manages the Denver offense just like Manning did in his last year but takes unnecessary sacks. San Diego is a play or two away from being unbeaten.

Our offense is the best in the division and our rooks, Lee and Conley did well today. The latter will be Smith's eventual replacement.

puffyusaf#2 likes this.
  14. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

nice try refs, 2-0

15. gcclaker

Totally outplayed tonight. Offense did diddly squat. Defense gives up a 74 yard play on a third and 19 to snuff what little hope we had.

On to Denver and I'd like to see this Redskin team play the same way at Arrowhead.

raviator and puffyusaf#2 like this.
  16. puffyusaf#2

Oh my damn... We did NOTHING right tonight. Redskins kicked our butts on every facet. Defense wasn't horrible overall but damn couldn't get the stops when it mattered all night . 3rd and 19 and give up nearly 80 on a damn screen pass? 1st and goal and we settle for a field goal. Carr looked off all game. Crab and coop were invisible. The O-line protested the game by not showing up inside of their respective bodies.

Denver will be huge.

gcclaker and raviator like this.
  17. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

2 interceptions and 4 sacks, that was depressing to watch. Seems like nobody could do anything right. Hope they shake it off by next week.

18. puffyusaf#2

The offensive line hopefully made it to Den cause they sure forgot to go to Washington. A lot riding today for us. Can we bounce back after getting handled on all levels last week? Can we make a statement against a tough division opponent? Carr, Coop and Crab all need to make statements today. And dear God can the defense put pressure on the QB so we don't get picked a part again?

19. puffyusaf#2

No crabtree today. So guess he won't be stepping up to make amends from last week. Still time to get it done

20. gcclaker

Winnable game drifted away... Carr with just back spasms (hopefully). Rooting for the Redskins tomorrow night.