2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. We are another superstar and 2 solid role players from even making the playoffs much less a title.

This team isn't even close to contending.

I trust Mitch and never count out his ability to swing a deal and bring in talent, but man. The cupboard is beyond bare at this point. Top 10 pick last year and a Top 5 pick this year gives us foundation for the future.

lakerjones likes this.
  2. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

Maybe I stated it badly, but we're trying to win as long as Kobe is still around, not rebuild. We're one Mitch magical trade, good free agent signing, and draft pick traded for a solid player away from being competitive again. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but bottom line for me is, with Kobe around, I don't want to rebuild. Trading our draft pick for a proven player will help us immediately, whereas another rookie will just be a move for the future - one that won't benefit Kobe.

LakersN4 likes this.
  3. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

That top 5 pick sure is looking secure right now.

4. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

I agree with this 100%.. We'll have plenty of time to be terrible & rebuild with high draft picks after Kobe calls it quits. Now is the time to focus 100% on putting a contender around Kobe. If we end up with a top 5 pick, I hope we trade it along with Randle for an allstar that can help us win now, & use our cap space to sign another star. Whatever it takes. Even if we keep Randle & a top 5 pick, we'd have to get extremely lucky to not be a lottery team for atleast 4-5 seasons after Kobe retires. Let's go all in while we have a hand worth playing.

5. Jb8

Jb8 - Rookie -

Even the #1 pick this year got traded for a superstar who could easily be a rental. Let's be cautious about what move we make.

The Lakers should keep/trade the pick based on what's best for the franchise, even if it means not giving kobe a shot at a ring.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

If (when) we get that Top 5 pick, I'm not trading it unless it nets me a young star on a guaranteed deal.

Price-controlled, top-level talent doesn't just come around every day. Randle was a great pick at #7. We saw his talent already coming through before his injury. Having ANOTHER player who is under 25 on a rookie deal is GOLD for our franchise. It's DIAMOND for goodness sake. Especially with the punitive measures taken to kill this franchise (and New York) in the new CBA.

If we get that Top 5 pick, we'll still have plenty of money to add a solid FA this summer. Screw winning a ring for Kobe, I want to set the Lakers up for their best possible run with or without Kobe. Randle next to a Top 5 pick next summer along with a solid FA is a damn good start to a rebuild. Then in two summers you've got enough cash for two max contracts to add to two fantastic young players and an already established guy?

That's the road back to quick success right there.

7. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I'm not a big follower of college ball, but this Frank Kaminsky kid reminds me of a young Pau.

7 footer. Fundamentally sound. Decent athleticism. Excellent jumper. Post game.

Currently on mocks he's 20th, I think he'll go a lot higher than that, but if we can keep Houston's pick and get him, that would amazing.

Ryanwestlombardi likes this.
  8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Thank you. We should not be building around Kobe. He'll be 37 next year. Why would we trade young talent to put with a 37 year old? Randle plus Towns or Okafor is an awesome front court for the future. Randle and Okafor come in as rookies, use next season to teach them the game while Kobe continues to try and put as much distance as possible between him and whoever might challenge him for most career field goals missed. ;)

9. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    He's an intriguing player,I too think he reminds me of Pau, but I do feel he is going to have a great year and move up in the teens....but with that top 3 pick and another late one that should add some quality talent to go with Randle and Clarkson

10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Oh you and your deprecating humor. :wasntme:

But basically I agree with you. No need to trade away a young building block on a rookie contract to appease Kobe. Sorry, but it's just not in our best interests to trade Jahlil Okafor for Joe Johnson or something at this stage in their careers. If Kobe wins another ring it'll be because he helped contribute to some other superstar coming here and carrying the team.

Okafor/Randle or Mudiay/Randle or Towns/Randle is a hell of start if we can pull it off. Especially considering they'd combine for less than 10 million dollars. Usually I'm all for trading 1st rounders away for established talent, but only if that 1st rounder doesn't point to immediate help. Okafor/Towns/Mudiay is more helpful to us than anything we could get in return realistically.

Let Kobe set whatever records he wants/needs to set over the next two years. He's welcome to stick around AFTER we've built something that can sustain itself after he's gone.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  11. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    That would be two players at or under 20 years old that would make less than 10 mill combined if im not mistaken. Clarkson is 22, hopefully re-sign Kelly whose 23. Also have Houstons 1st and 2nd. That would be 6 players total thatre young,hungry, and on cheap contracts.

We can always save the excess money if theres nobody worth of signing this off season by giving some more one year type rentals, simply let the rookies get experience and you never know.

THEN in 2016 Kobe takes a VERY friendly deal(if he wants) and TRULY go for a home run with all the cash we have?

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  12. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Kaminsky is definitely another guy to keep an eye for the Houston pick, especially if we end up with Mudiay.

Ryanwestlombardi likes this.
  13. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    I mean if we have to, do whatever to trade up. I would love to potentially come away with potentially our PG/C of the future.

14. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    yeah in the nbadraft.net big board for the 2015 draft I looked at all the NCAA preseason scounting report videos on youtube and Stanley was one of my favorite for what we need. Very intrigued and am looking forward to watching him this season in college.

15. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    unfortunately its still very early. now if this trend continues when Swaggy comes back I have no doubt we could possibility end up with a top 5 worst record.

16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

DX Scouting Report video on Mudiay.

17. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

I definitely don't think we should trade Randle. And yes, part of me wants to win another ring for Kobe, but that's not even most of it. We have KOBE BRYANT, one of the best players in history, on our team. We only have him for a little longer. Our best bet to win a ring is to do it while we still have Kobe, because he's so good. You all are seeming to forget that Kobe has been a top 3 player/scorer in the league for 15 years now, and when we lose him, we're going to drop off significantly. It's gonna be much harder to win a ring without Kobe than it is with Kobe. Not only do I want Kobe to win another, but I want us to win another, and Kobe helps our chances significantly.

18. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Thatll happen in 2016 when he takes a 2 year-2 million dollar deal to surround us with the best possible talent ;)

19. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I watched about 10 minutes of game play from his time playing with China and the dude was so raw and needed to improve in a lot of areas in my opinion. Not saying we shouldn't draft him but I need to see a lot of improvement if I personally think we should draft him.

20. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Alexander at Kansas looks NBA ready.