2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Al Jefferson should be in the discussion as well if we're talking about true Centers. All his work is basically done in the post

2. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Big Al doesn't really block shots. lowpost scoring is his forte. Between him and Monroe, I want the latter. younger and have some upside.

But the main target for me is Hibbert. Mobile 7'2 centers are very rare.

3. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Jefferson is blocking 1.4 blocks a game. Monroe would be good too, but he plays NOOOOO defense.

4. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Jefferson IMO is only a C in the Eastern Conference. Not the West. I wouldnt want him as our starting C. Not athletic enough either to guard the Jordans/Ibakas, I also think Duncan even at his age, as crafty as he is, would out match him as well. I DO like him as a PF, but with Randle I dont think it happens unless Randle gets traded as part of Lakers plan which wouldnt happen until next all star break, in order to give time to elevate his trade value after injury.

5. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    What do you think about going after Bismack Biyombo and Tobias Harris? I think they're both RFAs, but we might be able to lure them away for mid-level money and still retain the ability to add another solid to excellent player.

They'd add defense, athleticism, and youth.
    Lin/Clarkson
    Kobe/Ellington
    Harris/Young
    Randle/Kelly
    Biyombo/Sacre

We'd have two top 30 picks, including a top five (in all likelihood). If we had a shot at Mudiay, snatch him. Otherwise, get Okafor with our first pick and then look at Marcus Paige (I'm just throwing out a name).

Lin/Paige/Clarkson
    Kobe/Ellington
    Harris/Young
    Randle/Kelly
    Okafor/Biyombo/Sacre

It would NOT be the one big FA haul, but it would equip us for a long build with good talent at every position (even SG if Clarkson is panning out there).

6. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Hibbert is a knucklehead. Check out his tweets. His head is slightly more in the game than bynum.

7. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

I'm loving the fact that Biyombo isn't getting to show his potential, he looked like 1 of the best rim protectors in the league when they gave him PT. I'd love to see us pull off something crazy like Biyombo for a MLE type contract. If we end up landing a top 5 pick, shop it & Randle. Maybe get a star PG that plays D & can shoot the 3 (Lillard fits this pipe dream), & a 2 way SF like Batum. The west is really tough this year, maybe the Blazers miss the playoffs & LMA leaves, prompting Lillard to want out also. Sign Kevin Love after he spends a frustrating season as a 3rd option & the Cavs get knocked out in the first round. Bring back Ed Davis & Lin at bargain rates. Don't think there's any way we can afford to bring back Hill even if he's willing to sign long term for MLE money.

Lillard/Lin
    Kobe/Clarkson
    Batum/Swag
    Love/Kelly
    Biyombo/Davis

Ring # 6 here we come.

& yes I'm aware I have a better shot of winning the lottery than this happening.

8. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Do you feel Harris' stats are inflated due to the fact him playing in the East? How do you think hed do say against Durant,Leonard,Iguadala both offensively and defensively because to be completely honest, I dont know too much about him. I keep thinking of ways to get to finals, which is strategically bringing personnel that will help you beat those teams, even if youre not as talented.

Thats why I feel someone like Mudiay would be such a vital piece to a rebuild, even though they say go big man first. Since wed have to deal with Parker/Westbrook/Paul/Curry/Conley etc.

I feel we jumped the gun on Nick Youngs contract. Simply feel like we shouldnt have done it(not saying hes a bad player) because you dont pay someone starter money to come off the bench when we have no identity or established players outside of Kobe. Once you become a better team, some players, especially ones looking for an opportunity or climbing up there in years, will come for cheap to showcase their talents.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  9. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I don't know, to be honest. The first time I heard of Harris was when I went to see the game where Howard shot a million FTs here in Orlando. Harris stood out - and I've checked back in on him since then. I think he's legit, but I don't know how much he's going to cost.

10. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I think we're in a situation where we need two things; A bargain, and a max contract star. IMO Hibbert might be in the perfect position to be that bargain player and solve one of those needs. He shouldn't have max contract talks because of the meltdown last postseason, but I'm willing to bet that was a one time thing. We're in a position where we have to get some deals on contracts if we aren't going to wait for Kobe's contract to come off the books before making moves. Locking up Young was a move for depth of the team for the future, Randle will be a star on a rookie contract, and Hibbert can be the next bargain if we make him our priority as soon as free agency starts.

11. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

^ Well the bargain will come from the ever increasing likelihood of that Top 5 pick. Even if we got 100% healthy and even Nash and Randle came back, I doubt we make it anywhere past the bottom five teams. We should have a very, very good shot at that pick and I think that was the intention of the FO.

Depending on the pick, things change dramatically. If we get the pick, then we pick up the FA that is the opposite. Example:
    We pick Mudiay ---> go after Monroe, Robin Lopez (real bargain by the way), Ed Davis, Roy Hibbert.
    We pick Towns/Okafor ---> go after Dragic, Rondo, Lin, Reggie Jackson (potential bargain).

If we don't get the pick... That's when you're really looking for the bargain player. Is Hibbert that guy? I don't know. I'm not 100% convinced he's mentally strong, but maybe he's got it. Who knows? Everyone here knows I'm more of a Monroe guy, but who really knows?

12. southbaylakers72

Interesting points. Throw one more out there. With guys coming into league with less and less college experience and more and more weight being given by fans and media to a chip as symbol of true talent (unless your name is Adam Morrison) do you think love would do the unthinkable and win one in cle for legacy (by perception only) purposes before coming to play for an la team (which is to follow his dream) and get paid (regardless of whether the la team signing him can contend)?

13. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    I couldnt agree more on everything.

I just simply think if Pacers allow him to go, what does that say about him? For the right money though, theres always going to be entertaining lol. I believe if we can re-sign Hill and Davis for 11 million combined it takes care of the big man situation. That would allow us to evaluate PG/SF positions. If we land Mudiay, we can sign a SF of our liking and see what we got.

14. southbaylakers72

Kobe needs someone on players level other than himself to enforce the code when it comes to working hard and being a laker. That role was dfish and later meta. Now its up to coach Scott and I think he is failing to reach these young guys. Boozer? Can't cause he sucks on D. Why I love a guy like Tony Allen even if he is unattainable.

15. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that top 5 pick is only protected if we actually get a top 5 pick in the lottery, not just end the season as one of the top 5 worst teams. I'm not a fan of hoping both those circumstances pan out. We might end the season as top 5 worst, and then end up with the 12th pick like the Magic. I'll hope things work out, but I'd rather rely on a plan I feel is a bit more solid in a free agent.

16. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    Kevin Love isn't going anywhere. The faster this fan base or any other fan base realizes this the better.

17. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    This is a good point and one I never considered. Is it truly where we end up in the standings or where we pick. Now, I think its where we end up picking and not the standings. Being the optimist that I am I actually like the fact that its not based on standings alone. Imagine getting the 6th worse and being that pissed. We would still have a good shot of getting our pick back.

18. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Aaron Gordon was taken 4th overall? I get what youre saying, but hey, whatevers meant to be is fine by me, I guess haha.

19. southbaylakers72

Are you sure? Just kidding. Laugh if your wrong though. Think love made the move to cle for exactly the reason we have seen in this discussion-to get the chip sooner. So he won't be regarded as another KG. My impression KG always had better talent around him.
    e

20. southbaylakers72

I think the fan base is smarter than you want to acknowledge. A bunch of people posting ideas and bs doesn't change that.