2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Heard Trudell say on the radio that we can still waive him but have to take care of him during his injury.

lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Randle can't make plays for others, and has real bust potential? Are we watching the same player? Guy is putting up decent assists every game, he had like 4 in the first half last night. You want to talk bust potential, talk about everyone taken ahead of Randle not named Parker or Wiggins.

I think the questions about whether Russell can an NBA offense are valid, that is a question we need to be asking and watching. That said, he will need a couple years before we find out if he can or not. The only issue I see going forward is whether or not it was the right choice to take him over Okafor, because nobody else behind them IMO looks like they should have been taken instead at 2.

3. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

^I agree that it will take awhile for Russell to get acclimated to the pros but our squad is being pegged as a 20 or less win team. I say we won't be the cupcakes that they seem to believe we are. With good health, I think we will be competitive at least. 30 to 35 wins tops.

lakerjones likes this.
  4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think Mudiay has a legit argument at this point. Stanley Johnson has one too, but those were the three guys I was highest on as players who were NBA ready prospects. I think Huertas' impact (his ability to run an offense, spread the ball, and make the game fun for everyone) was the vision the Lakers had for Russell. An unselfish player that organizes the offense, but does it in a way that makes the game fun for everyone. Mudiay, Johnson, and Okafor aren't really those guys. The questions about Russell are definitely legit. With the starters at times he's a wall flower while Kobe, Randle, and Clarkson are aggressive. He needs to impact the game constantly.

Everything else? I'm convinced most of the league has written us off so early they're not even watching Randle otherwise they wouldn't be as stupid as they are. Not to mention Williams is a bad addition? Since when is adding a 6th man a bad decision? How about not having so much pressure on our kids to perform and giving them an outlet? Not even a consideration? Okay then.

raviator, lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

Don't you know everything Lakers must be hated irrationally?

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

7. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Read an article about Aldridge explicitly stating that Kobe was one of the best aspects of the Laker's pitch to him. The writer hinted that he thought Aldridge was lying and only said it to try to absolve Kobe out of pity since he's near the end of his career.

Absolutely ridiculous. In this day and age, "anonymous sources" get treated more credibly in the media than the word directly from players.

8. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

What's a better draw for 2016 FAs?
    1. Keeping Randle/Clarkson/Russell on a shortish rope, relying on veterans when they're having growing pains to get more wins. (Let's say 38 wins)
    0r
    2. Giving the 3 youngsters as much rope as they need to grow and show their talents at the expense of wins. (Let's say 25 wins)

(obviously, the rookies playing great with a long rope AND getting more wins is ideal, but I'm curious if coaching had to choose 1 vs 2)

lakerjones and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  9. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

^The rookies will have ample time but when matters are in the balance...the vets will have the final say. As much as I hate the term "a little bit of both" it's the truth in this case. Livelihoods are on the line here.

10. therealdeal

The 8th seed looks a lot more attractive to me as a FA than 30+ minutes from a rookie who's not 100% ready yet.

11. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Agreed. 8th seed with at least some growth and signs of potential from the rooks is what will be ideal.

12. EJones06

EJones06 - Rookie -

If we somehow snatch up the 8th seed, it would do us wonders in free agency. If anything, it would give free agents some sort of assurance that our ownership and front office is competent and moving in the right direction. Factor this in also: to any smart player, getting an 8th seed in the West is typically more impressive than getting a 5th or 6th seed in the east (like say the wizards)...so say it came down to a particular free agent picking between LA and DC, with an 8th seed he might be more inclined to lean towards the Lakers, proving Stephen A Smith's reports to be correct. Of course it's all hypothetical I'm not referring to anyone in particular ;)

13. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Not to be a downer but I just don't see the playoffs being in our reach. We'll be super high achieving if we come anywhere near 40 wins and that won't get you there in the west. NO had 45 wins to get the 8 spot last year, and OKC was right behind them also with 45 in 9th - out of the race. Realistically the West is too stacked to get into the PO's this season. Let's just hope we can do respectably well given our youth and inexperience in the starting lineup.

14. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Real talk. We're not sniffing the PO.

15. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I actually think we have a shot. It's a long shot, but it's a shot. If we stay healthy and things go right, I think we're as good as Phoenix/Utah/Sacramento/Dallas/Portland/Denver/Minnesota ...

Actually, screw that. Now that I'm listing the teams that are actually our competition at #8, what the hell am I saying?! We have a legit shot at the playoffs. Two of last year's playoff teams (Dallas and Portland) have dropped from 50 win teams to teams that will be fighting for #8. Healthy OKC will take one of those spots, but #8 is totally up for grabs.

raviator, Toklat and Barnstable like this.
  16. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

8th seed will go to either Dallas, Phoenix or Portland. If we're not out of the PO picture at the All-Star break, i'll be happy ;).

17. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

We have a lot to work on. A LOT.

18. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I just don't see how we get to the playoffs. Never did. And I don't think anyone we could have drafted would have gotten us there this year. I think we will continue to see good signs from our rookies and second year guys, but Russell, Clarkson, and Randle all have a ways to go before they can lead a team to the playoffs.

Kobe will bring his usual maximum effort, but I don't see his body holding up. We did better in free agency than the pundits will give us credit for, but I don't think it was enough. Watching the preseason games, the failure to bring in a guy like DeMarre Carroll has been glaring to me.

I think we will show enough to entice free agents, but we're just not good enough for the playoffs.

raviator and lakerjones like this.
  19. therealdeal

Playoffs were always a long shot, but I'm not going to count us out because of a pre-season game without Kobe, Clarkson, or even a set rotation against the reigning Champs who were out for revenge for the overconfidence of Randle.

Long way to go fellas.

raviator, Barnstable and lakerjones like this.
  20. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

We have some contracts that I think we can move for an upgrade at the wing position. Whether we're in position for the PO's or not 6-7 weeks into the season, I can see Mitch making a move for a wing type player.

ElginTheGreat likes this.