2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Gerald Green.
    Marc gasol.

2. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Something tells me Gerald Green wont want to come back to LA because we essentially let him go as camp fodder a few years back. Heck, its probably why he usually has big games against us. Wants to prove and show us up that we made a mistake in letting him go. I dont blame him either.

3. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    If he we can come to terms on a deal that works for both parties... hell get over it pretty quick. That is like me not getting that promotion at a certain job.. I end up getting another one instead at the position/level I wanted. Than years down the road they call me up and want to talk about a really great job position opening that pays a great salary. Id definitely would go in for a talk, I dont know about you lol.

4. XXIV

XXIV - Rookie -

It could be that he just couldn't handle the pressure playing in LA. I'm sure if our coaches thought he would be this good we would have had him. It's not like he was only with us for one training camp, he was in multiple camps with us and each time the coaches thought he wasn't worthy of a roster spot.

5. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Players with something to prove are always welcome. File under Trevor Ariza, Ruben Patterson, Jordan Clarkson. Green is a perfect fit.

6. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Was it just me or Marc Gasol to me doesnt look like hes worth 20 mill a year... Hill and Davis held their own, made Gasol look like not a superstar to me.

7. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

I didn't see this game so I won't comment on it, but Marc Gasol's value comes from several aspects of the game that aren't readily visible on your first viewing of a game or by traditional box score stats. As most of you can tell, I'm a huge fan of his game. Lol.

1. He's a DPOTY caliber player - one of the best defensive centers in the game.

2. He has the ability to space the floor with his shot. I can't stress how beneficial it is to have a big that can space the floor/bring out the opposing big out of the paint. Dirk has consistently lead one of the best offensive teams in the NBA because of this. Last year, the Blazers took a huge leap to become the second best offensive team in the NBA and one very big reason for that is because Aldridge sacrificed his individual FG% by stepping outside and opening up the paint for his teammates.

3. Marc also has the ability to score inside efficiently, despite the fact that the Grizzlies have had absolutely no spacing for the past few years. A lot of fans (like myself) have been complaining about our lack of 3s and our terrible spacing so far this season. The Grizzlies have been dealing with that for years, and Marc still manages to score inside efficiently.

Now, Marc might have had a bad game today. I can't comment on that, but he also doesn't really have a weakness in his game, and you can't say that about many bigs. He might not be that dominant offensive powerhouse like a Shaq/Kobe/LeBron/etc., but he'd make an amazing #2 (kind of like a prime Pau).

lakerjones likes this.
  8. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    I agree with everything you said... but please if you can, im not saying he had a bad game, watch the game from last night. Dxcept for a couple with open jumpers, he didnt do anything special.

I rather lock up Davis&Hill at a combine rate of what do you think is fair yall? 12 mill? Than say we bring back Lin and Kelly at a combined rate of 5 mill, that still leaves us with about 16.5 million give or take(depends on where the CBA is at, but read its supposed to be set at 66.5 mill next year) to sign a SF.

OR, another something to think about. If we can trade Randle for a SF on a rookie contract with as great of potential, I pull the trigger. Then you have 2 scenarios, A) Either sign a dominant PG, Davis starts along side Hill... B) Sign a near max player at PF.

Lin/Price
    Kobe/Young/Clarkson
    ?/Young
    Randle/Davis/Kelly
    Hill/Davis

9. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

I want Tobias Harris now.

trodgers likes this.
  10. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Great points @thkthebest

On that team, Marc is the 3rd option. It's Conley in a pick and roll. Then it's Zbo. Then Marc, who usually ends up dishing it off for a nice interior pass. One immediate example is Ed Davis. He was on that team, yet no one knew who the hell he was. Now we're hyping Ed up to be one of the most solid pickups this year.

Marc is a very unselfish player, but in actuality, a pretty good offensive player in his own right when he wants to be. He's not as fluid as Pau is, but definitely bigger and stronger. He could be a legitimate post presence and the offense works inside out easily through him. He has that set shot. And he runs the offense.

But Marc's main value is in his defense. He's not athletic like most shot blockers, but he's tremendously smart and is legitimate anchor.

11. lakerfan2

He's a RFA.

12. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Marc isnt the third option... Still not worth 20 mill IMO.

13. lakerfan2

He isn't? Which one is he then?

14. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    I would just simply say if they dont go pick and roll right away that its simply whoever has better positioning/ and, or matchup? I heard the announcer say yesterday they need to do what they do best and go inside out down low to Gasol, whose a far better passer than Z-Bo and then take what the defense gives you. Z-Bo has 103 attempts for the year, Gasol 105. Theyre pretty much tied.

15. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Flying under the radar would be Roy Hibbert if he opts out. I would love a coming into his prime HUGE and LONG center as per our tradition. He loves acting, too. Hollywood, baby!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  16. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    After that huge letdown in the Playoffs he had. That scares me more than anything else. Got to be strong mentally if you want to survive the bright lights of LA. Last thing we need is Hibbert to pull a Ramon Sessions when the games get more serious and he just disappears.

Barnstable likes this.
  17. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    yeah, that was a result of Paul George forking his girl. No such shenanigan will happen in Kobe-led locker room.

18. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    still you gotta be able to put that behind yourself when your out there on the basketball court. The basketball court should be where he's most at peace if he really loves the game. I'm not here to say that wasn't right and I'm sure it would be hard emotionally to get over. But I just gotta see more grit from Hibbert is all.

19. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    A change of environment where he will be appreciated would do the trick with his mindset. He is in a situation where he get's all the blame but none of the credit, which always go to his douche teammate. I'm sure Mitch has this as one of his FA scenarios. Hibbert is the last true center in the NBA. pair him with Durant the next year and we're back, baby.

20. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.