2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. XXIV

XXIV - Rookie -

I was listening to 710 ESPN today and Ireland mentioned how he heard Aldridge wants to shop around. I'd be very surprised if he does leave Portland, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make an effort to pursue him.

2. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Been saying since off season, id love nothing more than BIG L.A in L.A ;) than Gasol. If we strike out on both than hopefully were in position to yank Okafor with our draft pick. If were not in that position for any of the three I mentioned above, IMO go cheap with Davis and get another serviceable backup, use the money on skilled position players.

I also wouldnt be opposed to trading Randle for a proven SF, due to if we dont get that skilled man and simply re-sign Davis, hopefully were in the position to get our PG of the future with Mudiay(who can hopefully can start right away,getting seasoning in China in the Pro's as we speak).

These are the players that Im sure Mitch is looking at already at their positions.

C- Monroe/Asik/B. Lopez/Chandler/Jordan. SLEEPERS/VALUE- Ed Davis/Amir Johnson/Dalembert/Koufos/R.Lopez.
    PF- Al Jefferson/Millsap/David West. SLEEPERS/VALUE- Aminu/Scola/Nick Collison/Bass/Hansbrough/Brendan Wright/Maxiell.
    SF- Gay/Jeff Green/Dorrell Wright. SLEEPERS/VALUE- Landry Fields/Kirilenko/Dunleavy/Brandon Rush/Francisco Garcia/Prince/Casspi.
    SG- Not going to bother as long as Kobe is on the team.
    PG- Dragic/Rondo. SLEEPERS/VALUE- Lin/Andre Miller/Nelson/Felton/Stuckey/C.J Watson/Farmar/Telfair.

Sorry I know its not perfect, but I feel like these are the names that people should be watching some. Didnt bother throwing in any RFAs.

IMO, boy I hope we can land our PG of the future in Mudiay. Solves our PG situation of the future on a cheap contract.

Also, with the lack of SFs as well, I hope we can land one with Houstons 1st by trading it for one(throw in a player or two if needed) or even drafting one that has legit potential. Feel free to throw in any other players in there and make depth chart projections with the 33.5 mill in cap space we will have(Read salary is supposed to go up to 66.5, Kobe/Young/Randle being only players under contract).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  3. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Lin is also that list of sleeper PG's. He may not be having an extraordinary year, but he's still legitimate. Alot better than Nelson/Farmar/Telfair to say the least.

4. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    So to respond to my own post, I hope we draft Mudiay which puts us at around 30 mill give or take.

Mudiay
    Kobe
    Green(10 mill?)
    Randle
    Aldridge/Gasol(20 Mill?)

OR

Mudiay
    Kobe
    Gay(15 Mill?)
    Randle
    Monroe(15 Mill?)

5. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Agreed, Ill throw him in there. Keep them coming in. Id love to see some different scenarios and some that utilizes not giving the 33.5 in several different players instead of two.

6. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

as I look at it, you need to pass on great players if you got someone legit in that position.
    Lin is good enough for the PG position. we won championship without a great PG.
    the SF position is the one that frustrates me the most.
    i want the following players, in that order, to fill that position: Kwhai Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris, Jeff Green.
    not signing non of them is a disappointment for me.

next, the C position.
    gotta have someone who control the paint.
    Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert (if we can land him for cheap, as that is his value), Greg Monroe, Robin Lopez.

except for Kwhai and Gasol, not one of them are a MAX players, so there should be more money for other signings.

after that taken care of, sure Rondo can come.

FreeThePeople likes this.
  7. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities

In this video he's like 16/17, but he has good to very good post moves, soft shooting touch, and a ridiculous repertoire (threes, baby hooks, a floater, mini dream shake, step through like Kobe uses in the post). He doesn't show much athleticism though so you're on to something.

Here's a more recent video:

At about 1:20 into the video he runs the floor for an oop.

He has a great Eurohop.

8. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Ill play along to resigning Lin for lets say @5.5 mill a year? Leaves us with 28 Mill to spend AND the top 5 pick,which if we get AND keep, will account for another 3.5-4 mill or so. Just something to keep in mind. Id love a shot at Okafor since C is a position of need for us and would leave us with 24 million to spend for the SF position/depth. Id let Hill walk(if we dont trade him by or before deadline which I think would be smart if we learned anything from Pau situation), resign Davis @3 mill and let him battle it out with Okafor for starting C spot. That leaves 25 million to spend still!

Lin/?
    Kobe/Clarkson
    ?/Young
    Randle/Kelly
    Davis/Okafor

9. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Would you go for Gerald Green?

10. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Isnt he more of a SG like Matthews? I like him, also along with Gay,Green as well.

Another thing I thought about. Any chance we sign any of the above and to get rid of a PG need we let Kobe run the offense, Young and player I mentioned above start along side? Gives us good size and good cap flexibility as well.

P.S-I know this isnt NBA Live lol. I just dunno why it would hurt unless Kobe would be too tired, but nobody says wed have be an up-tempo team and be a time control team that takes what the defense gives us type.

11. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

dragic and gasol

12. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I think we need a SF way more than a PG or C.

13. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I've been doing some thinking.

PG: I'd like to see about re-signing Lin and offering to Jimmer Fredette. I have a thought we could get both for ~$8M total.

SF: Gerald Green
    C: Gasol if that's a possibility

PG: Lin/Fredette
    SG: Kobe/Clarkson
    SF: Green/Young
    PF: Randle/Kelly
    C: Gasol/Davis

So, Gasol and Green (then Fredette) to answer this question. I think Green is going to be the greatest bang for buck out there at the wing spot.

14. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

This is an area of need that has been lacking for awhile. That's why I'd advocate making an offer to Jimmy Butler; he's an RFA, but I hope the Bulls get cheap because I'd love to acquire him for this team. Your perimeter defense gets upgraded, you get younger at the wing position, he could guard the opponents best player, and he's steadily improving his offense. He's an 'impact' player.

15. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I'm going to be real interested in seeing how the contracts of both Jimmy Butler and Wesley Matthews play out when signing time comes. I think they both will be asking for around $10-12 million each. Personally I think Wesley is better and would rather have him than Butler.

Butler may be signed for a higher price because hes a RFA while Wesley is UFA. CHI knows they might have to pay a little more to keep him.

16. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

I really doubt Marc comes, he's going to be looking for a playoff team that he can push over the top. If Duncan and Ginobili retire I could see Marc going to San Antonio. As for Rondo I don't think he's worth a max contract nor is he a great fit. A point guard who can't hit threes and needs the ball in his hands to be effective probably isn't the guy we want next to Kobe.

Realistically I could see us going after guys like Rudy Gay and Tobias Harris.

17. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    That could be the best defensive backcourt in the NBA

18. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    I feel like Rondo is the best choice. Moving forward I think the Lakers will be able to sell other players of the fact that they have a
    pass first guy like rondo

19. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

I didn't see enough of Wesley do be sure about him, but Butler brings amazing defence, good shooting and hustle all the way. the kind of guy Kobe wants around him. he came from a rough background so hes a hard worker.
    i think he's one of the best combo defence offence kind of guy, maybe right after leonard and Iggy.

20. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    As far as a guy playing next to Kobe, it would have to be Jimmy Butler(FG%-50) or Wesley Matthews(FG%-53). Matthews has attempted almost 30 MORE 3-Pointers, both shooting around the same % on those 3's. Butler(25) though is 3 years younger and 2" taller than Matthews(28). I think they both believe it or not are going to be looking for 15 mill plus IMO.

For the Green's now. Gerald Green whose 6'7 like Butler, his FG%-39 and almost 10% worse on 3's. His D is solid but a lot of his game is driving IMO is too much of an inconsistent player to play next to Kobe. Jeff Green(28) now, his FG%-45, almost around the same 3PT% as Matthews and Butler, but hes 6'9.

Id sign Butler/Matthews/Jeff Green in that order depending on whoever gives us the best bargain, settle for Gerald Green if others want to much and can can get a bargain type price.

Dragic over Rondo easy. But once again, it depends on the money.